We’re at that tricky time of year where choice begins to overwhelm. You’re not buying for one person but for a whole army and there simply aren’t enough hours in the day to work out what each of them will be happy with. That’s where Mr Thoughtful comes comes in. We’ve gone through hundreds of websites to find the best of the best: the perfect gift for the lady in your life be she your girlfriend, wife, mother, sister, or gran.
To that end, we’ve sourced oodles of ideas and special offers that help you shop quicker, cheaper and above all more easily. This is Christmas shopping online as it should be: no queues, no jostling on the Tube with armfuls of bags – no sweat. One might say, we make you look like Mr Thoughtful.
The Christmas edit is now live.
Gifts don’t have to cost the earth and using Mr Thoughtful is not cheating! You are being thoughtful enough to consult with an army of journalists who have done all the leg work for you. If its in demand, it is being raved about and looks like you may soon have to join a waiting list chances are its here. We’ve spent the afternoon updating our selection, there are still the old classics that rarely go out of stock, but we’ve also added a few new additions that have only just hit the shelves.
If you are ordering online most shops now offer a gift service, the packaging is often beautiful and it will arrive ready and wrapped, leaving you to just take the credit.
Now that you are clued up on the in’s and out’s of buying lingerie (see previous post), here are some suggestions on what to buy. We love this lilac number modelled by Bar Refaeli for the Passionata Lingerie campaign. Part of the ‘So Pretty’ collection, we’d recommend you buy it online at ASOS – as the Passionata website has European sizing which can easily confuse. Available in an assortment of colours and priced at a very reasonble £51 for the matching set, its pretty yet practical meaning it won’t just come out for special occasions.
PS: To see the other collections or to appreciate Bar Refaeli head over to the GQ website where you can see the entire campaign.
Who hasn’t had an awful experience buying something they thought their partner wanted, only to be acknowledged with a response which reads, ‘Thanks, you got it almost right.’
Lingerie is one of those potential pitfalls. No matter how awesome you think your partner looks in her pants, and how sexy you think she’d look in same knickers that Intimissimi’s new lingerie model Taty, (20, blonde, from Russia, with giraffe-like legs) is sporting, she may disagree.
I remember one snowy Valentine’s night in New York when my boyfriend came home from the local hotpants shop where he’d been with his best friend’s girlfriend (a 36C) for advice for me. The sheer black lace number was gorgeous, but not on me, a 32A. Even my boyfriend admitted that a bit of push-up and padding was more my sort of thing. Of course I loved that he’d tried, and told him so, but then sprinted back to the shop to exchange it.
A survey by lingerie dynamos Fox & Rose shows that French men spend the most on lingerie per year (over £250/year and they buy every month). If you’re a French man, you may not need to read on further, but if not, here’s our best advice on how to make your woman happy in the underwear department.
- DO: Get a pad and pen and rifle through her pants drawer. Chantelle lingerie advises the diligent partner to check the bra size and the bottom size, the brands she likes, what colors & styles she prefers, and whether she likes padded or sheer bras. Equally as important is what kind of pants she likes. Bikini, boy pant, big pant, g-string? If in doubt, snap a photo of a few with your camera phone. You’ll probably want to delete those pictures though after a trip to the shop.
- DON’T: Think only about what it’s going to look like when you’ve got her clothes off. Remember, she is probably going to go to work in this stuff, or at least out at night, so it’s got to look right under clothes.
- DO: Chat up the sales assistant. Take your pad with you and corner the most knowledgeable shop assistant you can find. Tell her the sizes and brands and kinds of bras and pants your partner wears and ask her to recommend something similar. Remember, not all brands fit the same. A 34C La Perla is going to fit differently from a 34C Princess tam.tam. One easy way out is to buy the same bra and pants that she’s already got, but in a color or print she doesn’t have. You don’t look boring, you look attentive.
- DON’T: Leave the shop without a receipt. I would have been in a pickle without mine all those years ago. I still have the lingerie I bought with my boyfriend’s thoughtfulness, just not the one he actually chose.
- DO: Remember that there is more than lingerie. Silk loungewear like the Lucza pieces we’ve got pictured below are gorgeous, feel good, and are fun to take off too. I’d like to throw on the tunic and shorts myself. There is also nothing like a corset for slimming the waist and pushing everything into the right place. If your lady likes them (even if you’ve only ever seen her wear one for fancy dress) then go for it. I like the Romantica by Body Wrap and can see wearing it with jeans and black unbuttoned shirt. Or check out the Jean Paul Gaultier – La Perla Collection – the Baby Doll dress with its hand sewn lace is pretty divine.
- DON’T: PANIC. If it is getting too difficult and you can’t deal with the stress, just get a gift voucher. She’ll love the thought.
Contributed by Edie Lush, at www.stylebible.com, the luxury city guide.
If you are looking for flowers that wow on Valentine’s day, Wild at Heart is the place to go. Nikki Tibbles exquisite blooms (featured) have earnt her a concession at Liberty and Harrods as well as contracts for Ralph Lauren, Tom Ford and Chanel to name a few. Think of them as designer flowers with a price tag to match, if the budget can stretch they are defintely worth it. Order online at Wild at Heart or contact 0207 229 1174.
If the budget doesn’t stretch that far Good Housekeeping recently ordered flowers from a variety of stockists and did a blind test on them, M&S came out best, and they start at £22.50. Available online at M&S.
If that is still a bit pricey the best budget suggestion is Tesco, believe it or not, they do brilliant roses at a great price, simply remove the packaging, take the leaves off the bottom of the stems (and the thorns) and wrap in brown paper with a big black ribbon, we guarantee she will never know. Their roses last well over a week & come in at under a tenner!
The Castille Paris is the sort of place in which you could happily live. It has staff that seem to know what you want before you have formulated your query. Baths with length and depth, topped by power-showers. Spacious, well-appointed rooms, each with a view out onto the quiet Rue Cambon, or internally, into a fabulous courtyard decked with greenery and a wall-mounted fountain.
And then there is the location. For those inclined to make good use of their credit cards, the hotel is a stones throw from one of Paris’s foremost shopping meccas. Or there’s Coco Chanel’s original Atelier – and the company’s current global flagship store – literally on the doorstep of the hotel itself. Around the corner on Rue du Faubourg Saint Honoré and Rue Saint Honoré sit the Parisian homes of Hermès, Lanvin, Versace, and many others. If you can’t spoil her here, there is something very wrong.
Available on February 14th and/or February 15th 2013, the Love in Paris package for two includes one night with buffet breakfast and dinner for two at the Italian-inspired L’Assaggio Restaurant. Upon arrival guests will be welcomed by a bottle of champagne, home made chocolates and a bouquet of red roses in the room. To make the most of Paris, the package also includes a night city tour in a Limousine with a glass of champagne. Back at the hotel in the evening, the room will be filled with romantic candles and petals of roses to create the perfect Valentine’s day atmosphere.
The package starts at Euro 800 per night in a Deluxe Room (approx £650 per night). You can either book online or call +33 (0)1 44 58 44 58
For Adrenaline-seekers looking for love, this winter wonderland is just the ticket. Situated by Lake Silvaplana in the picturesque village of Surlej and just five kilometres from St Moritz, at Nira Alpina you get the best of both worlds: close proximity to the glitz and nightlife of St Moritz, but in a far more enviable location with direct ski in, ski out access to the best slopes in the region. With 70 rooms and suites, the interiors are quirky plus there is a range of restaurants and bars – serving traditional Swiss gastronomy as well as fusion cuisine – and the Nira Spa, the perfect alpine retreat.
The Valentine package includes Champagne and strawberries on arrival, a candle light dinner for two, a run with the world famous ‘Cresta Run’ bob in St Moritz, free ski pass and a carriage ride to Fextal. When you are done with the activities you can unwind with a couple’s massage at the Nira Spa.
The Valentine’s package starts from CHF 2500 (approx GBP1,683.00) based on two people sharing for two nights.
To book visit the website, or call +41 (0) 81 838 69 69
Mr Thoughtful isn’t just about spoiling your girlfriend or wife, he thinks of everyone and if you have a single girlfriend (that really is just-a-friend) then have just the gift to bring smile to her face this Valentine. Gift her ‘Perfect Man‘, a tongue-in-cheek entertainment app that lets you choose from five hot models – the poet, the photographer, the fireman, the celebrity or the business man, for the bargain price of £1.49 she can ask him questions and he’ll tell she’s beautiful.